Subject: [Leica] Re: shot not possible with digital
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 06:30:21 +1100

On Saturday, October 25, 2003, at 01:44  PM, B. D. Colen wrote:

> This suggestion that you need an M or people will freak out and point
> at
> your camera is such horseshit people who claim it should be required to
> clean up after themselves with a shovel. Yes, the M's a wonderful

Of course you can shoot people candids with almost any kind of camera -
duh -
but my earlier point was that shooting in v.low light, hand-held, is a
huge stretch
for the current crop of DSLRs.  Hell it's a stretch for even a film SLR.

v.Hard to focus in v.low light.  Hard to hold the camera steady with
its flipping
mirror. Hard to remain inconspicuous when a current high-end DSLR is
still
the size of a washing-machine.

Looking at your URL eg (subtitled "Blundering Clumsiness by a Cowardly
Photographer" I presume), which was taken an well-lit subway train - the
validity of my point still holds.

f2.8 at 1/15th at 800 ISO is pretty easy for any camera.  Now try f2 at
1/2 at
1600 ISO.  (That's a 5 stop difference mate.)

>  in hospital rooms, delivery rooms, churches, at private
> dinners in family homes

Yeah well - you probably had prior, written, permission to shoot in all
these locations.  In which case you could have even used a 11x14
view-camera and not bothered anyone.

But here's an exercise for you however.  Walk away from the keyboard
for a while and go down to a local department store.  Don't ask for
permission, just start photographing.  (1) it's usually quite dark in
there and (2) dept. store staff are really hostile towards
photographers.

After a few "interesting experiences" I think you will slowly realize
that
DSLRs aren't as inconspicuous or low-light capable as you once liked
to imagine.  :?)

Andrew N.
nemeng.com

(Who somehow managed to contribute to this thread without quoting
every single reply ever posted...)