Subject: Re: [Leica] Is digital photography necrophilia?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:49:52 -0400

B. D. Colen wrote:

> ;-)
> But come on, Rolf, it is a list devoted to "Leica photography-" all
> though precious few members spend their time photographing Leicas - but
> photography is an important part of the purpose. Let's be honest
> here...if the only thing photographic discussed was Leica equipment and
> unique aspects of its use, this list would be down to two people in
> about a week. First off, there is virtually nothing about Leica
> equipment that hasn't been discussed here as extensively as Tilley hats
> - one doesn't need to spend time on the list to get equipment questions
> answered; all one has to do is go to the archives. And as to the
> "unique" aspects of photography with Leicas - such as? Come on - an EOS
> (film) Rebel is just as quiet as an M; there are other rangefinder
> cameras; there's nothing "unique" about photographing with Rs, so we
> come back to equipment.
>
> What this list really is is an international community of people who
> seem to have at least two things in common - we all use and are perhaps
> a bit irrationally attached to Leica equipment of one sort of another;
> and we are all interested in photography, to one extent or another.
>
> For those of us who are interested in photography, the onslaught of
> digital is a major topic - and who better to discuss it with than those
> we Leica..?

As I said, I think this is all well and fine until the ancillary topics
(such as Nikon/Canon digital) start to subsume the original purpose of
the list.

And don't forget, just because you've forgotten all the Leica techie
stuff doesn't mean that there aren't others arriving on the scene who
aren't so well informed. After all, somebody must be buying those Hermes
Leica's and they're going to need a lot of help :-).

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014