Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica MP for landscape
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:20:49 +0100

Bill,

With your method, you end up with images that are 432x288 pixels. A typical
monitor these days is 1024x768 pixels or more, so your picture appears very
small. My own guideline is:

- - for a landscape image: long side (width)  is 750 pixels, which usually
results in the height of the image being around 500 pixels, depending on
cropping
- - for a portrait image: long side (height) is 600 pixels, which usually results
in the width of the image being around 400 pixels, again depending on cropping

This way I more or less fill a typical 1024x768 screen, leaving some real
estate aside for the browser's top and side menus.

If you make your image too big, then people with the smaller screens cannot see
the entire image on the screen and have to scroll around. If you make it too
small (as is the case with the ones you posted), then you lose the impact,
especially with landscape scenes.

As for the file size, I usually end up somewhere between 100 and 200 kb.

Nathan