Subject: Re: [Leica] Anyone been using the DiMAGE 5400?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:37:43 -0700

><Snip>  It just does curves in the same way that you
> do them in Photoshop. Maybe they do as good a job as Photoshop, maybe not.
>
> Perhaps in high-end scanners that cost five-figures worth of Euros or Dollars
> you'd be able to do something to effect a change but I don't think so at the low
> levels.
>
> So I've been scanning with no adjustment and doing everything in Photoshop.
>
> I am, of course, ready to be corrected as a complete ignoramous - it sure
> wouldn't be the first time!
>
> Adam
> --
Would the point be how much Photoshopping you typically need to do as
it's probably a good idea that the scans be as right on as possible?
In a way scanning feels like the beginning of the photographic process...
The being out there with the camera in the first place getting the shot
hopefully with the right film, filter, focus, shutter speed and aperture
and aimed at the right place. The gathering of information.
Scanning can feel not for from that only your scanner sits there on the
table; not in your handy hands. Do they have handheld scanners? No I'd
think not it's best to use a tripod when ever possible. Although my desk
has more than three legs.
One leg to many if you ask me.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA