Subject: Re: [Leica] Don's PAW 41 Calla Lily
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:26:58 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/03 7:56:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dorysrus@mindspring.com writes:

- ---------------------------------
Don,

The fortuitous appearance of the gray aperture blade reflections in all the
right places -- if that is what those octagonal figures are -- to break up the
black background and give the fluted flower an entourage provides this image
with distinction because the effect could not be predicted when using a Leica
M. If this isn't a manipulated image, then we're looking at the rare miracle
that the camera can come up with on its own. Being somewhat cynical as a judge
these days, I would request to see the original negative. Not that I'm
questioning your veracity, but I'm aware of the unconscious tendency to forget what
really took place post exposure. I've been a victim of the same wishful thinking
when the negative seen later hits me like an ice cold Niagara.

The declaration on PhotoNet is laudable re the NO box, but the definitions of
'unmanipulated' are somewhat too liberal for my tastes as they would apply to
the very talented and experienced field photographers on LUG who can think on
their feet and who don't need darkroom or Photoshop crutches.

br

Replies: Reply from Gary Marklund <Gary@Marklund.com> (Re: [Leica] Don's PAW 41 Calla Lily)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Don's PAW 41 Calla Lily)