Subject: Re: [Leica] Portfolio
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:10:58 -0700

Jon asked
Subject: [Leica] Portfolio

> What monetary value would you put on your Portfolio? The reason I ask is,
> have just finished doing the tax return for a photographer friend of mine
> 365/24...SNIP...
>His car was broken into and he lost his lighting gear and some
>Anyway...he also lost his portfolio!! He said there were over 100 examples
of his work
> in the book and that to reproduce it would be very expensive...which of
> course he has to do... I arbitrarily put a loss value of $2500 on the
> book....roughly $25 a print. Is this a fair appraisal?<<<<

Hi Jon,
I think you might be short changing him by $100 per picture! I think it
depends at what economic level of gross income he creates from his
photography.

The higher the income bracket the greater the value of the portfolio. In
other words if the guy is a shooter in the 6 figure end of a studio or
whatever kind of shooting he does, that equates to the value of the
portfolio as it must be absolutely first class to sell himself to high end
clients.

Therefore the greater value of what's in the picture quality, work and cost
to re-produce them all factor in. I always think these things have to go in
high because it creates the importance of the photographer's over all value
as a photographer.

Go in at $25.00 each and that becomes an indication of a small kind of
lesser operation and quality of the photographers image economic value and
revenue creating ability.

For what it's worth.
ted

Message from "Jon" <jon.stanton@comcast.net> ([Leica] Portfolio)