Subject: RE: [Leica] Closest thing to a Digital M announced today!
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:56:30 -0400

A very intriguing looking camera. I would however, have several general
questions -
1. Why a digital/electronic camera with a top shutter speed of 1000th?
Sure, we love our Ms, and the top speed is 1000th, but that is a
draw-back, not a plus.
2. Yes, the lens is designed by Leica, but the whole idea of a digital M
would be to use the Leica glass we have and love - which this wouldn't
let us do.
3. It looks far bigger and bulkier than an M, which loses part of the M
appeal.
4. If you're going to go for a pretty hefty digital at an undoubtedly
hefty price, why not go for a DSLR with interchangeable lenses? This
doesn't appear to be a real rangefinder any more than the Contax G2 is a
real rangefinder - it's an auto/
"manual" focus digital with a window to look through where you see what
you see on the screen.
5. Why buy a more expensive version with a red-dot on it? Folks like
Sonny have shown us that not having the red dot doesn't degrade image
quality a bit.;-)

All of that said, it is really good looking, and it is too bad that
Leica doesn't have this lens, as a click stop "zoom" for the M - 28 f 2
to 10? F 4? Not bad.

B. D.