Subject: RE: [Leica] Central now union bashing/praising
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:08:05 -0400

Mark,
I have some inside knowledge of why owners move/shut down.  In the late
seventies the workers at the Bunn (coffee makers) plant in Springfield
Illinois got itchy to follow their peers at the Fiat/Allis plant down
the street into uniondom.  George Bunn paid above union scale, better
vacation/medical, no strange work hour requirements.  After the usual
negotiations where it was apparent the union was voted in on promises of
better wages/hours George Bunn closed the plant and moved production to
Iowa.
Oh, and the Fiat plant closed as well so all the happy union workers are
doing what in Springfield?

In this specific case it was workers trying to do better by themselves
but not aware of the larger forces at play. In this case, management
found a better business climate.  The new plant in a small farm
community maintains the same deal that existed in Springfield for the
workers and management has workers that are more reliable in terms of
absences for whatever reason.

George Bunn had experience in some of his other business's with unions
and had no problem with contracts, he did/does have problems with being
unable to eliminate workers who show up drunk, don't come to work a lot,
harass other employees and other activities that don't make a harmonious
work place for all especially the work force.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com