Subject: Re: [Leica] Central Camera in Chicgao
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:11:14 -0700

Yes when the workers get antsy you might as well quit if they're not
going to trust your kind benevolence.
If these sweet old store owners were so sweet they'd give there workers
a contract.
Is it more a shame these people felt so strongly about being in a union
or more a shame these people felt so strongly that ludicrously their
workers should only be represented by them their owners.

I really think the thrill of magnanimous benevolence goes only so far.
What does it take to make it crumble? A worker demanding his rights to
some power.
In the climate of those times any worker would be ashamed to be working
without a contract and without a  union and thank god for that and them.
That's all we need is to go back to the humanitarian ideals of the
owners who get hurt so deeply when their employees betray them by
wanting a contract.
Me i free lance but don't work without a contract. And I'm glad i have
the power to insist on that.
My grandfather i get benevolence from the people who hire me can skip it.
My job is to do what i put down I'm going to do and their job is to pay me.
Preferably in cold unmarked unsequenced cash. No wait.. skip that part.

Why did those guys close down their businesses? Just exactly why?
A kind of sad ego?
Peer group pressure from the other "owners"? That's entirely possible.
I'll err on the side of the workers. There are more of them then owners.
Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com