Subject: Re: [Leica] Central Camera in Chicgao
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:32:02 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/03 8:19:51 PM, jon.stanton@comcast.net writes:

<<  I witnessed that very same thing with several "Mom/Pop" businesses. I
remember a grocery store on the Southeast side...in business for 40 years.
Some of the younger employees decided they wanted to unionize...Pop asked
why? He paid them the same rate as union, same medical and better
sick/holiday benefits...They still demanded union....Pop decided it was time
to retire...store closed...15 people out of work.... >>
We lost Ebinger's, one of the best bakeries in Brooklyn, for the same reason.
Mr. Ebinger was one of the owners of the Lincoln Savings Bank. He didn't have
to worry about his future. Ebinger's produced clean, high quality cake and
breads. His retail shops were in almost every neighborhood in Brooklyn. At the
time we were customers middle aged ladies most of whom must have been with him
since he began the business. Yet they turned against him and destroyed not only
 their own jobs but one of Brooklyn's finest institutions.

br

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Central Camera in Chicgao)