Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: wine comments
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:35:30 -0700

At 9:07 PM -0400 9/26/03, Emanuel Lowi wrote:
>  >Tarek- Come to Canada near Niagara Falls and try some of world famous and
>>award winning ice wine.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Kevin Argue
>
>Hi Kevin,
>
>I would love to! Is the ice wine produced there similar to the german Eiswein?
>
>Tarek"
>
>Excuse me for butting in, but as a wine writer I've tasted many of
>the many Canadian
>ice wines. They are in some ways different, in some ways similar to
>their German
>antecendents. Canadian rules require ice wines here to be made from
>grapes harvested
>at colder temperatures than those allowable in Germany -- a good
>thing. But most
>German ice wines are made from Riesling grapes -- a great variety --
>while most of
>the Canadian versions are made from Vidal -- a characterless grape. There are
>exceptions (including some very unusual reddish ice wines made from
>Cabernet Franc --
>among the only wines that work with chocolate) but IMHO most
>Canadian ice wines are
>merely sweet while lacking much definition. I find them ultimately
>tiresome and they
>do not age well, unlike their German counterparts. It's good that
>they shine a little
>light on the Canadian wine industry (which was an oxymoron until
>Inniskillin started
>making ice wine) but I think what we do best here is make good but
>cheap dry Pinot
>Blanc
>
>There are a number of Germans in Ontario making ice wine (Reif,
>Konzelmann, etc.),
>just like there were once Germans making Leicas there.
>
>Somewhere I have some nicer Leica images of the ice wine harvest in
>Niagara and I'll
>post them once I get a proper website up and running.
>
>Emanuel lowi
>Montreal

I'm in full agreement with Emanuel. I find the Canadian icewines
almost totally lacking in finish. They just peter out and in the end
are bland and sweet. The irony is that for almost the same price one
can get some of Austria's best desert wines: those from the winery of
Willi Opitz. Once one has tasted those, the Canadian icewines assume
their unfortunate rightful place. Canada has many wonderful things to
offer, but wines aren't among them.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design