Subject: RE:Re: [Leica] Re: recent Paris trip - wine comments
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:02:26 +0200

> So to talk wine... I was going to try and avoid it but got sucked in.
> France is THE place to live if you like good quality inexpensive wine.

> Even the Grand Cru is so cheap it can damage your lhealth compared to
> what you pay for it anywhere else.
>
>Jeff, where do you live? In the Bordelais?
>
>Tarek

Tarek

I do live near Bordeaux (150 miles) in Basque Country (Spain). Though I
am by no means a wine expert I've visited many, many times this nice
part of France and know a large quantity of the wines produced there.
Twenty years ago I used to carry with me this excellent pocket guide
that wrote Hugh Johnson, I think this was the guy name but I'm not sure,
just for asking the right year. I, too, visited the cellars and knew how
this wine was made.

But right now I trust the "sommelier" advice when choosing a determinate
wine and only I can distinguish if a wine is good or not. I "do" prefer
a wine "made" with enough years in the cask than a new wine. I know the
wine from Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Austria, Rumania, Russia,
Chile, Argentina, California and many other countries and, humbly, I've
not found something better than Chateau Petrus...I like the Italian
Barolo and the Tokay and the Louis Roederer Cristal champagne but there
so many different wines where you can choose! When in Paris, I've
visited most of three star Michelin guide chefs, and I religiously
follow the "orders" of the sommelier either choosing the wine either,
not less important, matching the wine and the food.

My only important experience in USA was visiting the Le Cirque in NY
when I asked for the sommelier and they told me they hadn't got him
because his presence could impress too much visitors. By the way the
food, mainly a mix of Italian and French cook, was fine and the owner a
sympathetic man; the Californian wine was excellent too.

After forty five years of experience I strongly believe the French wine
is the best in the world. Best French Wine is the Leica of the wines...

Kind regards

Felix

(A man of two hundred twenty pounds weight and a sinful stomach)