Subject: Re: [Leica] Oriental Asians
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:35:50 -0400

At 12:13 PM 9/23/03 -0500, Karen Nakamura wrote:
>Anyway, you're just revealing your ignorance and insensitivty with
>this thread, I suggest that you drop it. It reminds me of Southerners
>who didn't want to give up the N*gro/n*gger terms because they are
>dervied from the latin word for "Black" so what's the problem? Or who
>will use the terms because they notice that Black kids use them
>within the community, so why can't white people use them too?

Thank you, Karen, for your sensitive and helpful response.  Name-calling
really doesn't work either way, does it?

I live in a town of 200,000 folks with a small but active community of
Orientals.  We routinely call them Orientals.  The Newspaper, a left-wing
rag of the most outrageous sort, calls them Orientals.  I have never heard
a mutter of dissent about this, and, yes, I have a number of social
acquaintances who are of Oriental extraction, which is why I said that I
would ask them.  I will pay special attention to those who are
first-generation immigrants.

I still see nothing offensive in the term "Oriental.  I do see the term
"Asian" as used in the US press, as being racist, but, then, I know the
history of my own nation:  the 1922 California act, for instance,
forbidding the immigration of Japanese was entitled the "Asian Exclusion
Act" and the 1942 arrest of the Nisei was under the "Regulation for the
Confinement of Certain Asian Persons".

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!