Subject: Re: [Leica] Now Departing...Your Favorite Specialty Camera Store
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:59:05 +0200

Jim,

In a way this is not unique to camera stores. In most US cities (and in
many other countries), the downtown specialty shops are struggling to
compete with the suburban megastores or online sales. The shift from analog
to digital only makes the situations more difficult--although one could
argue that back in the analogue days a customer would buy an SLR and not
come back to the shop for several years. With digital, the replacement
sales are higher due to the shorter product cycles. Some retailers will be
able to take advantage of that opportunity, other won't.

I like to shop at small stores, IF they provide the things that large
stores or online stores cannot: personal service, knowledgeable staff and
good after-sale support. When I lived in Zurich, there were several smaller
shops in town selling Leica, but mostly what they provided were higher
prices. On the other hand, whenever I am in London I stop at RG Lewis,
where I am greeted by name and can always have a chat with the manager. I
bought my M7 and my Voigtlander 35mm lens there. I am sure they will stay
in business until the owner decides to retire.

Nathan