Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak Release
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:39:44 -0700

><Snip>
>
> On another I thought how wonderful it would be to find the person who
> invented modern slide projectors, tie him to a chair for 24 hours of hell
> watching, followed by staking him on an ant hill, pore liquid honey over his
> bare belly and leave him another 24 hours!
>
> I mean I'm sure many have sat through similar "showings" only to swear
> they'll never ever go to the persons home again no matter what kind of
> single malt scotch they're serving! ;-)
> ted

We got only so much money for out wedding in 1978 but the first thing i
got before we set off for California for our honeymoon was a Kodak
Ektagraphic slide projector.
I'd worked with them extensively at Six flags where i designed and
operated a 10 projector 5 screen slide show or shows. I had to mount
each slide in glass. Sometimes even redo those. 10 shows a day. But i
was paid by the hour to be in an amusement part and only had to do my
bit... work 12 minutes out of the hour the rest of the time out in the
park. Six flags one day while i was there bought a park and therefor had
larger holdings in the park biz than Disney.

By the way it was 10 hours a day 7 days a week.

"We're bigger than Disneyland and Disney world put together!"

I used to go to parties with two Ektagraphic and a dissolve unit all
hanging off me strung together and some of my latest trays. They'd see
my stuff where they liked it or not but sometimes projected over them.
they had to look at their shirt to see my images. And or pants or Dress.

I've seem my share of dark long slide shows I just claim ADD (thank god
for those initials) and hang out in the hallway.

A few year back i Photoshoped the hell out of the cities tunnel-project
point and shoots from engineers who'd you'd think could shoot better and
put it on a PowerPoint show (cult) and exported to slides. I understood
this was the range in every high-rise, city or private in the woild in
the roaring 90's. I can't see the die out in the 80's.

I had a page of slides when I was 13 in 1964 which i took with my
everywhere with a cheap Agfa Loup.  I had a darkroom. But the slide page
was my main thing. Later it was sometimes trays. And yes sometimes a
stack of prints.

I am thinking about getting that expensive (one grand) program normally
used for action digital to do a Ken Burns slide show of my portfolio.
The zoom out effect is actually called the Ken Burns effect I wonder if
he makes money every time this happens.

Slides in paper and film, plastic and film, glass and film or digital
form will be around long after me. What is a film after all but a slide
show played very fast. After all we are in the stills biz. Sometimes we
are in show biz too... the second word of slide show.

A LHSA meeting is mainly a serious of slide shows. Perhaps this year
next month it will be different but i doubt it amd this will not bother
me in the least. Very effective. Show me your Kodachrome 25's taken with
your new 15 mm Schneider Leica on the Maine coast and make the projector
lens be a high quality one the projector bulb an extra bright one and
the screen a matte large one. I will be amazed i was so smart to get
into Leica.

You can skip the scans and fancy presenting programs.

Teds slide shows are second to none.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com