Subject: Re: [Leica] white spots on Tri X and Xtol
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:42:36 -0700

Tarek Charara wrote:

> > Tarek
> >
> > I rate it at 400 and develop for 12.5 minutes at 20C. Xtol 1:3 doesn't work
> > with Tmax - but I think you already know that :-)
> >
> > Steve
>
> Tmax? Clear as glass, almost... :( I'll try the Tri-X at 1:3, soon!
>
> Tarek
> --
><Snip>

I had some great results with T-Max 100 and D76 1:1 the developer it was
invented with. Tweaked.
http://www.rabinergroup.com/ImagePages/Heathercoat.html

They come out with the special T-Max developer and all turn to smudge.
Rodinal strangely enough was grainer than usual with this film. It
looked like 800 speed film. But somehow sharper.

I found the 100 to vary batch to batch more than other films - if you
had a water bath or Jobo that might not be so bad. Or it's the flim. Or
Cosmic Rays from Outer Space.
Gremlin Prone.
I has a look i can "spot" a thin smudgy look in a sharp ground. Even in
medium format.

I walked into a room to see my friends new print.

"T-Max 100" I uttered.

"Thanks" he said (with no utterance of amazement that i guessed the film)

"was not a compliment" i might have said but probably chickened out.

Plan B:
"Think nothing of it" I expounded.

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." He
explicated mysteriously, not a film nut.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com