Subject: Re: [Leica] white spots on Tri X and Xtol
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:40:44 -0700

Steve Unsworth wrote:

> Mark
>
> I had lots of problems with _very_ thin negatives when I tried Tmax 100 and
> Xtol 1:3. Xtol 1:1 worked ok.
>
> These days I use FP4 as my slow film and that works very well at 1:3.
>
> Steve

TMX sounds like bad news with Xtol but i had problem with that film and
other developers too. But I'm sure there is an incompatibly issue there
with Xtol. So i avoid it like the plague. And it bugs me not being able
to go 1:3 with that film… But who cares when we have a slew of medium
speed films to chose from. ACROSS from Neopan, Delta from Ilford and FP4
as you say. Delta I've had great luck with no so FP4 but the FP4 was
decades ago and i was making different mistakes then. And as i see
Tgrain 100 speed films to be high res films i think they compete with
Pan F which is a stop slower though and that fact may are not be worth
the stop. Technically I'd think by everyone I'd be called a slow film.
But 50 is not so slow. 32 or 25 is slow. And whatever Tech pan film is.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com