Subject: RE: [Leica] OT Subsidies to private schools VERY OT..;-)
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:34:57 -0600

> in fact, most of them are probably renters, paying no property taxes,
> and property taxes are, in most areas, what pay for public schools. So
> the money for a voucher system sure does come ultimately from public
> school funds.

As a former renter... I'd like to point out that we DO pay taxes - just not
directly. Do you think the building owner gets their money from somewhere
else to pay their property taxes?

A portion of what you pay in rent goes to pay the property taxes for your
rental property - but because we are still stuck with some kind of 18th
century notion of property, ownership, taxes and voting rights, somehow
there is the view that renters don't pay property taxes and so don't have
quite the same rights as the property owner....

I never could get round the notion that somehow, the guy who owns my
property got to vote in municipal election because he "paid taxes" with the
money I paid to him, but for some reason I couldn't vote... I'd never come
across that until I came to N America. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but
in the UK, as a citizen, I seem to recall that I could vote in all national,
county and borough elections.

tim