Subject: [Leica] Canon f1.2
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:23:41 EDT

Richard asks:

<<Yes, one of the perpetual comparison question. Which one is "best" wide
open at 1.4, and how soft is the Canon at 1.2?

Looks like there's a Nikkor 1.4 and a Canon 1.2 for sale right now, I am
somewhat tempted...>>.

Most users (me included) have a love/hate relationship with the Canon 50mm
F1.2. This mammoth sized optic has a screw mount but the lens is so wide that it
is visible in the view finder of the camera. A 50 mm adapter is required to
select the proper frame. It is soft at full aperture, but sharpens up nicely at
F4. At apertures smaller than F4 it is not quite as good as the early F2
Summicrons but better than the 50mm Elmar. At F1.2 it gives a mysterious quality
to the image, a sharp core with a soft halo. In short, it is a bokeh lover's
delight. It takes very flattering low light portraits and makes an excellent
natural light wedding lens since everyone looks beautiful. Available light
photos, for which this lens was intended tend to be very contrasty and the full
opening softness is suitable. It is a BIG hunk of glass to hang on your camera and
it is impressive as hell mounted on an M3. The M2, M4, and .72 viewfinder M6
have marginal RF equivalent baseline to critically focus this lens at short
distances (under 2 meters) but it can be done if you are careful. The lens works
well on screwmount Leicas, however. For a while these lenses were cheap, in
the $200 range but the prices seem to be climbing. I wholeheartedly recommend
the Canon F1.2 as a specialty lens which merges the capabilities of the
Noctilux and the Thambar.

Larry Z