Subject: [Leica] black paint
From: Feli di Giorgio <feli2@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:25:28 -0700

Does anyone here know any specifics about the black paint and the
methods used to apply it to the M series?

I just disassembled my M2 and am about to drop it off to have the
chrome/nickel stripped down to the brass and I have a few questions.

a) Does brass have to be prepped before it is painted? (besides a good
cleaning)

b) I've heard that the paint jobs on the original M2/M3/M4 are pretty
lousy. Looks like Leica used some fairly conventional black enamel
paint on them.

c) How glossy is an original M2/M3/M4 paint? I was going to use the
paint on the back door of my M2 as a guide. The new MP has a good
amount of gloss.

d) Was it baked after painting? I know that Shintaro bakes his camera
parts after painting.

e) Has anyone here done this and would like to share their experiences?

thanks,

feli

safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. 				-Benjamin Franklin

feli2@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] black paint)