Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] LUG FOOLS answering DanC.
From: Sonny Carter <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:27:59 -0700

Hello Dan,

DC> Surely someone doesn't have to be a photographer in order to be a photo
DC> critic!   Are movie reviews made by movie directors?  Are book reviews
DC> written by novelists?

DC> dan c.

A common answer to my thesis!  But.. good reviewers have credentials.
Their track record as reviewers either is on target, or fails then
they wither away as critics.

You are correct. You don't have to be a  director to review films, but you do have to understand what it is
that causes a film to work.

Besides, the making of a film is a far more complex thing than the
making of a photograph.  A film is a story, lighting, sets, actors..
blah blah blah.  Complex.

A Novel too, is something that probably cannot be reviewed by
novelists. Maybe, maybe not.

A film reviewer cannot end his review with a line that condemns a movie
because it was shot with a particular filmstock.  A literary reviewer
cannot condemn a story because it was published as a paperback instead
of a slick novel.

Yes, I do indeed demand credentials from critics.

Sonny