Subject: Re: [Leica] weekly picture
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:35:55 EDT

In a message dated 9/9/03 12:19:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
imagist@concentric.net writes:

> Not trying to speak for Phong - For me it seems innane to verbally describe
> photograph back to a list where folks have already seen the original,
'visual,
> ' non-verbal work. Now, if you have a comment regarding the composition,
tone,
>  use of motion, success or failure of the work - perhaps we could learn
> something.
The chief points I made was the photographer's fearless use of distortion and
ability to spot a moment in a child's life. That technique and insight were
far more important than the technical details. As a reviewer I believe it's my
job to emphasize the critical elements that made the photo successful. Sorry
you disagree with me, but that is how I improve my own work; by recognizing the
key elements in the composition and photographer's use of the medium.

Best,
br