Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica purchase decision conundrum
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:04:41 -0500

Kip

As to the magnification of the finder - I found my eyes worked better with
the .85 mag finder and I had no intention of using anything wider than 35
mm.  I have found this to be ideal for me, as I like the 90 mm focal length
and the .85 shows the 90 frames all by themselves.  However this said your
.58 finder will probably work fine although the 90 frame will be a bit
smaller.

As to the Leica binoculars - I have the 10x42 and LOVE them, skip the
8x42's and get the 10x42, price difference is negligible and the difference
in magnification is just right.  The 10x are also easy to hand hold steady
also.

Gene

                      kip@mac.com
                      Sent by:                            To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        cc:
                      -alto.ca.us                         Subject:  [Leica] Leica purchase decision conundrum

                      09/08/2003 06:08 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

All:

I'm wrestling with a Leica purchase decision that I'm hoping the group
can help me with. I own an M6TTL, a 35mm Summicron, and a 50mm
Noctilux. I've decided I'd like to try a focal length with a bit of
magnification, and I've settled on the 90mm APO Summicron. However, my
M6 has the 0.58 finder, chosen because I knew most of my shooting would
be with the 35mm, a match that I love.

Would the 90mm lens' focal length be extremely difficult to focus with
the 0.58 finder, so much so that I should defer the purchase until some
time (meaning probably a *long* time!) in the future when I can afford
another body with a 0.72 or 0.85 finder? If so, the other Leica object
I'm lusting for is the 8X42BN binoculars, which I could put to use
right away on many upcoming trips...

What to do?

Kip Peterson
San Diego