Subject: [Leica] Re: LC5 Wide attachmentI
From: "Neal Friedenthal" <neal@nairobisafari.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:38:29 -0400

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:13:27 -0400
From: "Michael Volow" <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Subject: Re: [Leica] LC5 wide Attachment
I too purchased the wide angle attachment for my Digilux 1 ( the one
intended
the Panasonic LC5 -- the Leica version, if it exists was unavailable). I
haven't tried it on the camera yet because the attachment that holds it to
the camera is still on back order.

However, I was unpleasantly surprised how huge it is. Bigger around (about
80mm) than most Leica M lenses! And heavy! Bigger and heavier than my 21/2.8
Aspheric. The size almost defeats the purpose of having a great (equivalentt)
33-100mm/f2-2.5 walkaround camera.  How does its physical size compare to WA
attachments for other comparable digicams?

Plus the 0.8 smallification should change the equivalent 33mm wide end only
amodewst amount, to a 26mm WA (if my math is correct). This at a time when
the newest high end
noninterchangeable digicams are featuring 28mm wide ends (Minolta, soon to
be released Sony, ? others).

I have been thinking of sending it back. However, the pictures Neal posted
using this attachment are quite sharp. Am I being too hasty?

Michael,
	I too was a bit surprised by the size of the attachment when I got it, but pleasanty so.
I've usedauxiliaryy lens attachments in the past and have found that all too often they are too
small to be optically sound. Wide angle attachments especially have a tendency to vignette,
this is even true with the Rollei Mutars, which were and are considerably more expensive than the
Panasonic version. The size of the rear element of the LC5 wide attachment which is considerably larger than
the front element of the cameras lens, as well as the overall size of theopticall system of the lens minimizes this
vignetting. While I too would like a bit more of a wide angle than the equiv. of a 26MM,
it is still more useful for wide shots than a 33mm, and as I said with my posting the results are very acceptable.
Neal F

Replies: Reply from "Michael Volow" <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] Re: LC5 Wide attachmentI)