Subject: [Leica] Very OT: Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:15:22 -0400

At 08:58 AM 9/7/03 -0400, Don Dory wrote:
>Thank you for responding.  First, is there any literature that you could
>direct me to that would cover McClellan that a Google won't uncover?
>
>Second, as to Grant, he seemed to do pretty well with the Western
>campaigns in Missouri, Tennessee, and Mississippi with troops that had
>been newly formed up.  Now I will grant you that he had Sherman under
>his command in the latter part of these campaigns which was of immense
>tactical advantage.

Shelby Foote and Bruce Catton both wrote multi-volume histories which cover
the Civil War in detail -- especially recommended is Catton's GRANT TAKES
COMMAND.  The best single-volume works, in my estimation, are either
Fletcher Pratt's ORDEAL BY FIRE or the recent BATTLE CRY OF FREEDOM by
MacPherson.

There have been a couple of solid biographies of Sherman in recent years,
but I do not have the citations available and my copies are upstairs in
boxes at the moment.

Sherman had performed quite well at First Bull Run and had then been given
a most important independent command in Northern Kentucky, a state vital to
Lincoln's strategy.  For him to then be placed under a relative upstart
(Sherman had been successful in everything he did and his brother was a
most influential Senator, while Grant had failed miserably from the end of
the Mexican War into early 1862, and was regarded as a time-serving
lightweight by his superior, "Brains" Halleck) must have been a come-down
but one taken by Sherman in stride.  Years afterwards, Grant asked Sherman
if he had ever been really scared during the Civil War, and Sherman
responded that he had, at Shiloh, but that once he saw Grant in action he
recognized that Grant was a better soldier than he was, and ever afterwards
simply placed his faith in Grant.

Grant became concerned about the political and logistical value of the
Shenandoah Valley.  While most of the denizens of the Valley were either
neutral or pro-Union (Congressmen were sent to Washington from these
hustings throughout the War), their strained loyalty to the Commonwealth of
Virginia caused them to feed and provision Confederate forces advancing
down the Valley on Washington.  In late 1864, Grant ordered Sheridan to
advance up the Valley, from Winchester to Staunton, and to burn out all
farms and the like, regardless of the political tenor of the owners.
Sheridan was ordered to leave the Valley in such a state that "when you
depart, not even a crow can cross the Valley save that it carry its own
provisions".  Sheridan did his task with grand precision, turning America's
most fertile farmland into a corruption of subsistence-farming plots which
have only managed to regain their former glory during the generation just
past.

Fascinating times, fascinating people.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315