Subject: Re: [Leica] re: gun balderdash & photos - Stalin and the Long March, (also Ancient Astronomy)
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 23:45:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/03 5:53:20 PM, msmall@infionline.net writes:

<< George C Marshall was sent to China as a plenipotentiary in 1946 to resolve

all of the issues between Chiang and Mao and the warlords.  When he left,

his report included the phrase that, "the proudest boast I have ever made

is that with a single stroke of my pen, I disarmed 60 of Chiang's

divisions".  And THIS from the military genius who won the Second World

War?  Chiang DID disarm 60 divisions.  The warlords did not do anythingof

the sort, nor did the CCP forces.  But Marshall was PROUD of stabbing

Chiang in the back!  >>
- ------------------------------------------------
I haven't studied this post WW II event, so I can't say anything now.
However, knowing something about Marshall, I know he wouldn't give away the store to
anybody for any reason. What I do know is that Chiang made many mistakes in
his campaigns and that his government was somewhat corrupt. He had dealings on
and off with Mao. From what I know is that Chiang was outflanked when Stalin
turned over Russian occupied Chinese territory to Mao in the north. And Mao had
a more committed following among the peasantry. He was seen as a tool of the
old imperialist powers, and he probably was.

However, this discussion is somewhat far afield from discussing the purview
of Leica, which is a broad spectrum in its own right.

br