Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica: A new M lens?
From: "Jim Shulman" <garcia@chesco.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 19:17:02 -0400

Ted, I'm with you.  The new stuff is in the stratosphere, while barely
used equipment takes a much bigger price hit today.

Has anyone taken a look lately at the decline in used Leica prices?
Last year you'd be luck to find a really gorgeous M3 body CLAd for less
than a grand.  This week I've not only heard of one (WITH a MR meter),
but also an M4 in similar shape with MR-4 meter for the same sub-$1000
price.  The same is true for lenses.  I know of a dealer who's
upside-down on a number of items: a Summarex in lovely shape that, a
year or so ago would have fetched $1500-1700 on THAT WEBSITE now could
barely make a grand, if he were really lucky.  You also see near-perfect
M7s at $1600-1700 going up against brand new ones for close to $2600.
It's hard to sell new equipment as an investment in lifetime enjoyment
when customers see price drops that steep.

As recently as last year you could invest in good condition, clean used
Leica stuff and more or less get your money back when you decided to
sell.  That ain't the case today--and with more than 50% of the new
equipment market in the US going for digital in 2003, I doubt it's going
to get much better for Leica equipment.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA