Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Metric system
From: "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 19:59:45 -0400

D'accord...

My bro in law lives in calgary, and I know immersion is quite the rage.
That's why I said SOME albertans. Not that I want to lump all into one
category, but I've met a few western canadians who really resent the offical
bilingualism policy. Mainly those who decided to fight than switch and got
passed over on promotions. I'm a rare breed, a unilingual Quebecer. I would
love to learn french better, but never quite got it. My wife and kids speak
better french than I. Although "un biere sil'vous plais" works fine, along
with "ou est la salle de bain".

From: <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>

> Actually, French lessons are very popular in Alberta. Both of my girls
have had their entire schooling in French and speak and write French
fluently.

> Also, there are a number of settlements, primarily in northern Alberta,
that were founded by French speaking Canadians where the French language is
fully a part of the ongoing culture and daily life.