Subject: Re: [Leica] Metric system
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:51:29 -0700

In the seventies the US was considering changing to the metric system. In
fact many road signs had already been changed to reflect the miles
equivalent in kilometers.

Bob Green, a columnist from one of the major Chicago papers, mounted such a
negative campaign against the metric system that Congress was convinced by
the almighty voters reaction to desist from implementing the change to the
much simpler metric system.

Now the US stands alone in the use of the English system.

In some languages the foot is not the only measure that refers to an
appendage. In Spanish "pulgar" and Italian "pollice" (inch) is also the name
for thumb. I wonder if other languages refer to extremities for the yard.

Joe

From: "Ken Firestone" <kenf@speakeasy.net>

> I sometimes wonder if the adverse reaction to the metric system in the
U.S. is connected in some way to the general anti-scientific ignorance