Subject: Re: [Leica] New photos
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:50:01 -0700

I get books all the time from the major and not-so-major stock
agencies. Hundreds of pounds of books every year. At least a good-sized
tree's worth of paper. From Getty and Corbis on down.

Wish Mangum would send me a few! We do buy a few Magnum photos every
year.

But I have to say that Diane Arbus is (was I guess since she's dead)
not alone with her fascination for the morbid, ugly, and deformed. It's
hard to believe there isn't some conspiracy going right now to make
every agencies' photos look like every other agencies' photos. What I'd
give to see some stuff like Jim Brandenberg's work, or Freeman
Patterson, or Ted Grant for that matter! :-) Art Wolfe manipulates his
photos, so he's off my list.

Would it kill them to still have a little space left for beauty? Sheesh!

Here's a tip for you new up-and-coming future stock photographers.
Study Jay Maisel, Pete Turner, Sam Abell, Ernst Haas, Fred Maroon,
Elliott Erwitt! Anyone but the current people filling up the art books!
You'll stand out like a sore thumb!!!

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 03:18  PM, bdcolen wrote:

> But, hey, art is meant to create strong reactions, right...?

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgment. - Will Rogers