Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:29:54 -0700

BR,

Exactly!!!

The big difference here is that the camera has an unblinking eye. We
can go back and see things that we did not notice (especially with the
Noctilux!) when making the photo. Try that with a bit of writing.

And yes, I meant to say make and not take - Susan Sontag was in the
back of my mind I guess. :-)

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 08:03  PM, Afterswift@aol.com wrote:

> << > A photograph is as real as a sentence or paragraph written by a
>> journalist. It is, not an absolute, but from the very beginning an
>> interpretation of "reality". >>
>
> Except that not everything in a photo can be controlled, while I can
> carefully select every preposition, every article, every verb, every
> noun, every
> adjective -- nothing can be in that sentence that I don't want to be
> there.
> But when I photograph outside a studio on the street there is detail,
> light,
> subjects I can't select that I must include whether I like it or not.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco. - Will Rogers.