Subject: Re: [Leica] Truth in photojournalism
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:08:38 -0700

In many places, sadly, that is true. But an many newspapers, there is
no competition, so they don't feel pressure to do stupid things. And
some of the best photojournalism is being done at small and
medium-sized papers where the pressure isn't there to compete with TV.
Heck, where I worked, all you had to do to beat the TV reporters was to
make a picture better than a three-year-old could do.

We all have to answer to our consciences and in that case, I'll take my
photography straight. A lot of what you are talking about here is
decision-making at a level above the photographer heads. Photographers
get stuck having to fulfill the visions of visually-illiterate
superiors. Editors still, after all these years, don't get what
photography could do they properly utilized their visual reporters.

Apple pushed back the Dual 2GHZ G5 shipments 10-15 days for us mere
mortals so they could send 1,100 of them to Virginia Tech which is
setting them up in a cluster to become the fifth largest Supercomputer
in the world. Other major educational institutions are getting theirs
early too. I hear Berkley has had them for a week.

Apple finally gets that they need to do better in that space.

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 09:56  AM, LRZeitlin@aol.com wrote:

> The journalistic standards you support hardly reflect today's media
> reality.
> Just look at the media lust for release of the Lacy Peterson autopsy
> or the
> lawsuit, supported by the NY Times, to get the Kobe Bryant
> transcripts. Or the
> Atlanta Journal publishing a picture of the "KISS" on the front page.
> Scandal
> and sensationalism sells. A media outlet that forgets it joins the
> Saturday
> Evening Post in thhe waste bin of history.
>
> Incidentally - do you have your G5 on line yet?

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few
who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric
fence. - Will Rogers.