Subject: RE: [Leica] Truth in photojournalism
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:09:09 -0400

You make an excellent point, Larry, about times and standards changing.
Certainly the journalism standards pre and post Vietnam - and Watergate
- - were very, very different. I think we tend to forget that the period
of roughly 1968 to 1984 set a high watermark for American journalism - a
water mark that hadn't been touched before, and certainly isn't being
touched now. That period was a real aberration in the history of
American journalism - where the prevailing tradition has always been a
variation of the tabloid TV. line - if it bleeds, it leads.

However, I would suggest that the NYT is not fighting to get the Kobe
Bryant materials because of the story, but because of the precedents
involved.

B. D.