Subject: Re: [Leica] Computer question
From: Michiel Fokkema <michiel.fokkema@wanadoo.nl>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 19:21:45 +0200

Hello.
I'm a linux user for everything except scanning. Because the dual3 is
not supported except in Vuescan that not runs very well on my PC.

The power of Linux is also the drawback. It is developed and maintained
by a lot of people as a hobby. So, there is enough interest to make a
program as the gimp, but it goes too far to do something on colour
management. The credo in the linux community is: if you want a driver,
write it!

So I scan under Windows and the rest I do under Linux. For all the work
I do, there is an alternative linux program for every program I would
use under windows. Sometimes it is much better than the windows
alternative (like multi-user, bookkeeping, networking, internet,
multithreading), sometimes it is less good (graphics and webbuilding).
Linux is much more stable and doesn't need restarts when you install a
new program. And best off all NO VIRUSSES (yet). In basic it is free,
and you are not supporting this guy called Bill who is rich enough
already:-)

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid@google.com> (Re: [Leica] Computer question)
Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Computer question)