Subject: Re: [Leica] Mac vs. Windows
From: "David M. Dorn" <dmdorn_ct_usa@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:16:08 -0400

> Jeff S  wrote:
> This "Mac vs Windows" debate is a very dead horse; it
> passed away sometime in 1996 or so. Please stop
> beating it ;-)

Don't agree Jefff,

I run both Mac G4's and Dell PC's with XP and for graphics, and for
both stability and  graphics the Mac is the winner.

Windows owes it dominance to IBM's stupidity in thinking hardware was
the key not software and to Gates's ruthlessness and willingness to
break trade laws.  He may not be so lucky in Europe :-)

Yes, my PC's are used but only for certain astronomical software for
which there is no equivilent for the Mac (yet!).  But in the PC world
show me a free raster image printer like QuadTone RIP.

The point is that in a world free from MS's antiturst abuse there
should have been and  be room for all even Atari.

Finally, either Microsoft can't or won't  lockdown Window's from a
security standpoint.  My image files are never stored on the PC but
trasferred to the Mac.  (and soon to a Mac Server). Somehow I sleep
better at nights.

Just remember, OS X and Linux are kissing cousins and Open Softeware is
here....Cox Cable is maintaining a 600,000 customer database using
MySQL which is freeware and not 1/2million Oracle package.

David

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Mac vs. Windows)