Subject: RE: [Leica] PJ standards -- Like Caesar's wife
From: "David M. Dorn" <dmdorn_ct_usa@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 19:46:46 -0400

Assuming that a major organizations with a vast image collections (like
the NY Times  or the Washington Post) have their image files on a
server using RAID it would probably backed up every night as are most
such severs.  This is not something recent: major papers have been
compositing digitally for years now. It's really only the camera
capture end that is relatively new.

I would also guess that they might use a 3rd party digital archive
service, like Iron Mountain,  who would mirror their database at an
offsite location.  Not unlike buying space on Mac.com and backing up
you files there.  Frankly if I were a pro photographer that's the way I
would go rather than try to keep my own archive files.  Staying with
hard drives  of ever increasing capacity and backing up to an offsite
location would avoid the need for Snicker bars and the geek.

Go to http://www.ironmountain.com where you can see the electronic
vaulting services they provide for data and media.

David