Subject: Re: [Leica] PJ standards -- Like Caesar's wife
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:57:43 -0700

The New York Times would not use CDs or DVDs. They should be using as many RAID
disk boxes as needed to hold what they need for current use, if not all their
digital data, photos and text. The disks would be backed up off-line in an off
site tape library.  As newer tape capacities and technologies become available
the major tape library vendors have tape migration capability. They simply
change out some of the tape drives in the library for the newer technology and
the software starts migrating their data from the older technology to the newer
technology.

How much capacity are we talking here? Take a look at StorageTek's L5500 tape
library. Scalable to 960 tape drives and 132,000 tape slots. 13.2 PB storage
with data transfers up to 65 TB per hour (yes to get that you gotta buy all 960
tape drives ;-)  But seriously if you are in this class for quantity of data
you are going to have more than one off site location in order to have two
copies of your data at two different sites. A small operation can keep
redundant copies of data with big RAID boxes and one off site tape library.

Same principles apply to smaller tape libraries, even the smallest StorageTek
library holds two tape drives and thus migration from one tape technology to
another is highly automatic.

That kind of capacity ought to keep Tim scanning those 8x10s for a long time
;-)

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] PJ standards -- Like Caesar's wife)
Message from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (RE: [Leica] PJ standards -- Like Caesar's wife)