Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG anti-gun ?
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:30:21 -0400

nice, but the king is the GAU-8:

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0900/929.htm

the A-10 is built around this behemoth, and when it fires it
produces 19,000 lbs of recoil.  each of the two engines on the
A-10 produces 9,000 lbs of thrust.  do the math.  i had a buddy
in the service in hawaii, and he told me when he saw the A-10s
doing exercises, you could see them appear to stop in mid-air
when they opened up on the target.

the basic technology for the A-10 weapon, the AC130 gunships and the
Phalanx close-in-weapons system on navy ships all of which we currently
use is very old, having been invented by richard gatling in 1862 during
the civil war.  by the turn of the last century, the gatling had been
obsoleted by gas and recoil-powered machine guns and the multi-barrelled
rotary gun concept lay dormant for 50 years.  then in the 1950's when GE
resurrected the gatling gun for aircraft use, this incarnation hooked up
to an electric or gas-powered motor and named Vulcan.

and what does this teach us about leica?  that good things can have more
than one life, that obsolecence is sometimes temporary, and that engineering
diversity is a good thing.

oh yes, and that oldies can be goodies.

- -rei

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 07:40:57PM +0200, animal wrote:
> http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/m61a1-vulcan.jpg

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey