Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:25:44 -0700

It was the South Carolina Press Photographer's Association. You can
read the whole story at Photo District News' web site. He was using
what we in the trade call "The Hand of God" technique. It was always
somewhat questionable before digital. And what he did was re-create
that same effect digitally. The difference is that it's not so obvious
as it is when printing in a darkroom. He had a photo of a firefighter
that was against a totally black background. Unfortunately, the
original photo had what he considered distracting elements that he
obscured. Other photo were similarly treated.

He admitted it was wrong. And people discussed that because digital
make the technique seamless and impossible to tell if "well done" that
it crosses the line and becomes unethical. Before it was obvious the
photographer was messing with the photo that it was considered by many
of us bad taste, or unethical at worst for the same reason as when it's
perfectly done - it obscure details in the photo.

It's perfectly acceptable in art. It is not acceptable at all in
journalism in my opinion. He was caught, If I remember correctly, when
other photographers saw his winning photo in the NCPPA's contest and
knew he must have manipulated the photo extensively to get the effect
they saw.

It is a long-standing tradition of photojournalists who are members of
the NPPA and related organizations to emphasize honesty and ethics and
not surprising that someone who was so blatantly manipulating his
photos would be found out. I guess the guy should admit he was being
pretty dense thinking he'd get away with it. He's lucky his employer
didn't fire him. His actions call their ethics into question. The New
York Times was in their rights to do what they did to that writer this
summer. What this photojournalist did was much less blatant, but still
along the same lines.

On Saturday, August 30, 2003, at 01:01  AM, Afterswift@aol.com wrote:

> I surmise that the society might have directed him to give them the
> card he
> used.
> If he didn't erase it, either he was too preoccupied or proved to be a
> very
> honest gentleman -- after the fact.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"There exists a limit to the force even the most powerful may apply
without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry
of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a
tool of vengeance, never a hostage, nor a mortification against the
martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape
the consequences."
- --  Frank Herbert