Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 04:01:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/03 11:46:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
eric@jphotog.com writes:

> I have a feeling this isn't the last we'll hear about this if it turns
>  out to be faked.
- -----------
Re this subject, NPR had a report about a photographer who was censored by a
professional journalism society in SC (one of the Southern states) for
digitally changing the tone of a print for which he won a prize. He was interviewed
on NPR and didn't defend himself, but spoke about how digital is bringing
traditional darkroom practices into disrepute. Methinks he did something more than
that. They didn't discuss how he was found out. We can talk that delicate
matter here.

For starters, perhaps he had to present to the society the original file if
he used a digital camera, or the print and neg if he used a film camera. Then
they made the fateful comparison. At any rate, he wasn't fired.

I surmise that the society might have directed him to give them the card he
used.
If he didn't erase it, either he was too preoccupied or proved to be a very
honest gentleman -- after the fact.

br