Subject: Re: [Leica] National Geographic scandal
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:07:32 -0700

Sure they did, B. D. And that was the honest approach. Show what they
did. If they ignore or try to sweep something under the table, that
will be a first. They were up-front with the pyramid (which was a very,
very long time ago, and is proof they'd be stupid to let the same thing
happen again since people still talk about it like it was yesterday). I
know that Kent Kobersteen is an honest guy and would never
intentionally let something like this happen. He was a student of Cliff
Edom And Cliff would be back to haunt him if he did. That alone would
keep me in line. :-) And that causes me to question the validity of at
least some of the arguments of this Hungarian group. On the other hand,
I CAN imagine the president of NG to force his staff to cover it up on
threat of their jobs being in jeopardy. He's the fool who decided to
rip off photographers over the CD/DVD in the face of extreme protest by
all the photo editors.

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 06:32  AM, bdcolen wrote:

> Am I not correct in thinking that many times over the years the Geo has
> in fact shown in great detail how it is "set up" nature shots, closing
> off a little area of a stream with Plexiglas, cutting a piece out of a
> tree to create a window onto a nest, etc. etc. I've always assumed that
> these kinds of things were done...realistically, how else would one get
> allot of these kinds of shots?

Eric
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.jphotog.com

"Clichés are like analogies. At the end of the day, you're just beating
a dead horse"