Subject: Re: [Leica] El Corcho - parasites again!
From: Allen Graves <>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:16:38 -0500

This list is beginning to sound like the review course for my
Infectious Diseases boards that I took a few years back.....

Nevertheless, I read a few months back that the disease is beginning
to appear sporadically in south Texas as a locally acquired disease
and may be spreading slowly north.

Ted- if you hang around another 50-75 years, you may get to see it up your way.

>Marty Deveney described so eleoquently:
>>>El Corcho - parasites again!
>>  >chagas bug, a parasite which causes a fatal heart disease.
>>  > The bug doesn't cause the disease, it merely vectors it.
>>  The critical life cycle step is the bug to human phase, which is
>accomplished by stercorarian transmission: the Chagas disease-infected bug
>bites you and then defecates.  The bug faeces contains the infective stage
>of Trypanosoma cruzi, the causative agent.  Of course the bug bite itches,
>so the person scratches.  The bug faeces and infective stages get rubbed
>into the bite, an eye, or other mucus membrane and hey presto - another case
>of Chagas disease.
>>  The long-term cardiac complications occur in about 30% of infections.
>Another unfortunate long-term effect is megacolon.  As to what that means,
>imagine for yourself.<<<<
>Jeeeeessh Marty,
>thanks old buddy you spoiled my supper! ;-)
>To unsubscribe, see

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <> (Re: [Leica] El Corcho - parasites again!)
Message from Ted Grant <> (Re: [Leica] El Corcho - parasites again!)