Subject: Re: [Leica] El Corcho - parasites again!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:56:37 -0700

Marty Deveney described so eleoquently:
>>El Corcho - parasites again!
> >chagas bug, a parasite which causes a fatal heart disease.
> > The bug doesn't cause the disease, it merely vectors it.
>http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/chagasdisease/factsht_chagas_diseas
e.htm

> The critical life cycle step is the bug to human phase, which is
accomplished by stercorarian transmission: the Chagas disease-infected bug
bites you and then defecates.  The bug faeces contains the infective stage
of Trypanosoma cruzi, the causative agent.  Of course the bug bite itches,
so the person scratches.  The bug faeces and infective stages get rubbed
into the bite, an eye, or other mucus membrane and hey presto - another case
of Chagas disease.

> The long-term cardiac complications occur in about 30% of infections.
Another unfortunate long-term effect is megacolon.  As to what that means,
imagine for yourself.<<<<

Jeeeeessh Marty,
thanks old buddy you spoiled my supper! ;-)
ted

Replies: Reply from Allen Graves <ahgraves@prodigy.net> (Re: [Leica] El Corcho - parasites again!)