Subject: Re: [Leica] OT stupid scanning question
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:52:23 -0400

Apples and oranges. Scan in 16-bit gray or 48-bit RGB. Some people do
scan black and white as color and then use the channel mixer to convert
to grayscale. The green channel is usually sharpest. Either way you
should use the full 16 bits per channel while making global tonal
adjustments to avoid posterization (shown as gaps and spickes in the
histogram).

Gilbert