Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter Speed Selector
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:10:46 -0400

The M7 and the M6TTL have the larger 'ergonomic' (i.e. turn the dial
the way the arrow points) shutter speed selector. M2, M3, M4 (and
variants), M6 ("classic") and MP have the little dial that goes the
'wrong' way if you are used to the M7 or M6TTL. So if you buy a non-TTL
M6 as you suggest in your post, you will have to sell the M7 and buy an
MP. But then You will get used to the M2-3 winding lever and you will
have to buy another MP. But Then because of the knurled (isn't that
cute!) rewind knob, you will have to get a beater M3 to replace the M6
(non-TTL). Oh hell, just buy that new Hermes version and be done with
it.

:-)

On Sunday, August 24, 2003, at 07:03  PM, Gary Williams wrote:

> Do the shutter speeds on the selector wheel turn in the same direction
> on an
> M7 and M6?  I have an M7, am still looking for the right second body
> and am
> considering an M6 (non-TTL).
>
> I know Leica has been going back and forth on this.  It would be too
> disconcerting to have two bodies that have the speeds going in opposite
> directions.

Actually and in all seriousness, that is a very real consideration, and
exactly how I fell down a slippery slope not dissimilar to the scenario
spoofed above. (No, I AM NOT buying any camera for its fancy leather!
But I've had two M7s die early electronic deaths, both promptly
replaced under warranty; The all-mechanical MP with it's improved
finder is intriguing, but damned if I'm going to shell out for TWO of
them any time soon.)

> Sorry for the babbling, it's been a rough week.

Yes it has...

Gilbert