Subject: [Leica] Digilux?
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:01:44 EDT

Question:

I know of at least four different cameras, made by two manufacturers, bearing
the name Leica Digilux. One series, the Fuji made Digiluxes, were simply the
cosmetically altered Fuji Finepix 1700, 1700 Zoom, and 4800 cameras. The other
is the Panasonic DC5 variation. With the Fuji cameras, Leica didn't even
claim responsibility for the lens. All they contributed was an expensive brochure
and the red Leica dot. Even the manual was printed in Japan. Leica claims to
have a hand in designing the Panasonic version but their touch seems very light
indeed.

How much of an influence does Leica have to have in the design of a camera to
be truly regarded as a Leica? Does it make the lens? Does it make the body?
Does it simply lease the rights to the name? If the red dot falls off my (Fuji)
Leica Digilux Zoom, is it still a Leica?

This is a question worthy of Philosophy 101. You know, like the famous broken
knife problem. If a knife blade breaks and you replace the blade, then the
handle breaks and you replace the handle, is it the same knife?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Digilux?)