Subject: [Leica] Digital experience
From: Stasys Petravicius <stasys1@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 17:22:49 -0700

Hi LU's: I just had a pleasant experience with my N...n Coolpix 950- a 3
year old p/s. Tues 8/19, I discovered that the close focus of the camera was
not working- a key requirement for this camera because my wife loves to use
it for macro shots of flowers, which I print as 8 x 10, then she uses as a
reference to paint in oils. I called N...n, and their Torrance Ca. facility
was open till 3pm. I just made it in time (it is 25 minutes away), explained
the problem and requested quick service, since we want to take it along with
my R system to Paris next Thursday. The estimate was from $93- 203.

I was surprised when they called at noon today (3 days later) and said the
repair was ready. I drove over, checked the close focus capability at the
counter, paid the fee of $150 and was on my way! The repair consisted of:
replacing the main power switch, replacing the control panel, general check
and clean, mod version upgrade (software?), and gluing back on a rubber hand
grip that had come off. I feel that they did a lot for the money.

I had thoughts of looking for another inexpensive digital camera for the
trip- but now am in a good frame of mind.

As one of the threads says, my film R with a vast selection of films will
probably do an excellent job compared to the digital-it is only 2
megapixels- but- the digital is very handy when you are in a "happy snap"
mode- as Ted would say. Stasys