Subject: RE: [Leica] digitalrebel
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:59:53 -0400

Come on, Doug - I'm not talking about the SLRs on which you have mounted
modern glass - I'm talking about the very substantial of folks on this
list using screw mount rangefinders - with their split
rangefinder/viewfinder - and the rangefinder lenses of the 40s and 50s,
many of which were not even the best of their era, let alone holding a
candle to modern Leica lenses.

As to changing film types - Gee, a digital with isos of
100-200-400-800-1600-3200, with the ability to pick from more than a
half-dozen color temps, and to select a custom color temp, differs
little from a film camera in which one can switch film types. Oh, no,
that's not true, is it? With the digital you can switch film types for
each individual shot. ;-)

Again, if you're happy with film and your Rs, great - just as I am happy
with my Ms and film for most of my serious work. But our preferring film
for some or all our work doesn't negate the truth about where digital is
now, or about the fact that many of those blindly bashing the idea of
going digital are using truly obsolete equipment that produces subpar
results - in fact that produces image quality that can be bested by
virtually any modern SLR using consumer lenses, or, for that matter, can
be bested by a Bessa R using Cosina lenses costing less than $500. ;-)

B. D.