Subject: Re: [Leica] It's here
From: Feli di Giorgio <feli2@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:59:15 -0700

> Beware of focus shift when stopping down when close in. I suspect
> that's why
> it's a meter lens, and not a .7m.
> Slobodan Dimitrov

I shot and developed a test roll last night. Very strange experience to
walk around
in the early evening with 100 asa film (AXP100) and still get shots.

DOF can be razor thin and wide open it does vignettes in the corners,
although depending
on the lighting it can blend in with the frame. Frankly I think it adds
to "the Noctilux look".
As Slobodan says, when shooting open you ALWAYS have to focus. If I
remember correctly
Puts says the focus shift is around f5.6. Here's one interesting thing
I noticed. I shot a building
about 30-50 yards away at f1.0. First I shot it with the focus set to
infinity, then I took the same
shot but focused on the stores front door. Again, always focus. The one
set to infinity is out of focus, the other is in. The lens does not
flare. It's amazing. You can shoot straight into streetlights or light
bulbs
and it just sucks up the light and spits it back out again. Shadow
penetrating ability is amazing.
I shot a black cat sitting in a patch of weeds at f1@1/30th. It was
getting pretty dark, but when I
scanned the negative I was amazed at how much tonality there was in the
shot, even in the darkest
areas. I'm pretty sure I am not just imagining that, but I would hedge
a guess that it has to do
with the amazing flare resistance of the lens. On the way home from
work I took a few shots
on the street during regular late afternoon light around f8. The lens
is sharp. Not as sharp
as my current 50/2 Summicron-R, but then again what is? Sharpness and
tonal fingerprint
look similar to what I get with my Summicron-DR. High resolution and
medium contrast.

Feli

safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. 				-Benjamin Franklin

feli2@earthlink.net