Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: wine (WAS: Travels with M6: Fort Ross Heritage Day)
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:37:34 +1000

On Sunday, Aug 17, 2003, at 14:32 Australia/Melbourne, Nathan Wajsman
wrote:

> Adam,
>
> It is true that overseas wines are subjected to a higher tariff in the
> EU,
> but that tariff is the same whether the wine comes from the US,
> Australia
> or South America. For everyday drinking I also try to stay under $10 a
> bottle, and this is where I find that I get a much better deal from
> Chile,
> Argentina, or Australia. I do have some more expensive bottles in my
> cellar, mostly stuff bought directly from producers in Bordeaux--one
> of my
> pleasures is to read Wine Spectator and see how much some of my stash
> is
> selling for now. I then point out to my wife what brilliant
> investments our
> cases were, to which she coldly replies that I just intend to drink
> them...true!
>
> Nathan

You may soon be in trouble with your Aussie wines: Southcorp was
selling far far too cheaply, and it has backfired: Share price has
slipped from $7 to $3. Its time to pay real prices ;-) Can't speak for
the the others, but the price of Aussie must go up.

Cheers indeed.
Alastair

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Re: wine (WAS: Travels with M6: Fort Ross Heritage Day))